Overtone Music Network

a common space & database for harmonic overtones

As a reply to Hai´s request I write couple of lines about situation in Finland. Although I left Finnish Throatsinging Society, it is still active and new president is Jari Ilmonen (who happens to be now in London and I suppose, he is going to sing tomorrow 30th Nov there with Michael Ormistone in some Mongolian restaurant...). I am having a duo Shumuul with jari. Cedip Tur is resting, because members are so busy with other projects. At Etnosoi - organized by Global Music Centre - we had recently Sainkho and throatsingers have plans also for next year. So khoomei is going strong even without me. Take a look at our leading khoomeist Impre Peemot at Finnish TV: http://areena.yle.fi/toista?id=1680699. Programme is in Finnish but there is nice views and music. Imre comes around 8 minutes. Finnish Throatsingers: www.kurkkulaulajat.fi

Sauli

This content has been seen 446 times

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don´t know if anybody is reading this.... but I heard, that you can´t watch the programme I mentioned above abroad. Only in Finland. But what you can see, is this Imres perform at khoomei symposium in Tuva 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgFndO4ML2g
Hi Sauli, great that you started this topic. I would like to ask a long carried question about Joik. Several sources mention joik as a finish overtone singing style. I never heared joik with overtone techniques. I suspect that this is a hoax based on the mistranslation of "throat singing", which is used with the meaning of throaty singing but also of overtone singing. Could you tell more, please? Do you know overtone singing in traditional Sami joik?

Wolfgang
www.oberton.org
I have some Sami friends (one is a Shamanka). We had a sharing session one evening - they sang Joik and I overtoned. They were amazed and said they had never heard anything like it! We had a great time! From what I gather there seems to be different kinds of Joik. Joik that uses words to tell stories, and more intuitive Joik, which is more shamanic. Wimme sings both styles (check him out on You Tube), but I haven't yet found actual throat singing.
Jep. Youre right, there is no tradition of throatsinging in Finland - though some joikers have used guttural sound. We started in mid 90´ees, when Albert Kuvezin did co-operation with Global Music Centre in Helsinki and Boris Salchak had a workshop at Haapavesi. So it is mostly Tuvan khoomei, what we do. We have also had some Mongolian workshops by Hosoo.

But in fact already in seventees there was a radioprogramme about folkmusic of Soviet Union and one part was Tuvan khoomei made by Ilpo Saunio. Another Ilpo, composer and ethnomusicologist Ilpo Saastamoinen made the first try of khoomei at their album Pohjantahti 1986. Just listened it with Michael Ormistone and Candida Valentino and it is nice record.

Also there is some overtoners and at least couple of choirs. I dont know much about their works, because I am khoomei-man...
It seems for me not being so far. Joik is not only melodic singing but also with guttural and nasal sounds... Not diphonic, but harmonic sounding. And the most traditional saami instrument is an harmonic flute. There is probably same old origin of circumpolar/shamanic cultures - see on wikipedia,...
If someone have, thanks for information about meeting or mixing joik and throat singing.
Philmar
Hi Philippe

Hmm... Practically you can pick what-ever-singing technic in the world and you can find as much similarities as between joik and khoomei. With the flute there must be some misunderstanding. So far I know, flute just don´t belong in saami tradition. Singing has always been á cappella and only instrument they use is drum.

Sauli


Sauli Heikkilä said:

Hmm... Practically you can pick what-ever-singing technic in the world and you can find as much similarities as between joik and khoomei. With the flute there must be some misunderstanding. So far I know, flute just don´t belong in saami tradition. Singing has always been á cappella and only instrument they use is drum.

Sauli

Hi Sauli,
I've seen the fadno flute in some saami websites, and at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_music . Some says the Lur (natural horn) was played too by Saamis.
All types of singing is sounding with overtones of course, but the traditional joik style is playing with the timbre as much as with melody and rythm. It seems for me that each of those 3 aspects is simple, not consciously developped, but in an instinctive balance of singing manners. As a singer I think it's interesting...
Never heard but I am not specialised in Sami culture. Must raise the subject when meeting some professionals.

Joik is sung by open throat, in my mind anyway. More like in arabian culture, north american pow wow, some styles of Taiwanese aboriginals. But yes, it is interresting to compare styles and wonder the similarities.



Philippe Martin - Philmar said:


Sauli Heikkilä said:

Hmm... Practically you can pick what-ever-singing technic in the world and you can find as much similarities as between joik and khoomei. With the flute there must be some misunderstanding. So far I know, flute just don´t belong in saami tradition. Singing has always been á cappella and only instrument they use is drum.

Sauli

Hi Sauli,
I've seen the fadno flute in some saami websites, and at this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_music . Some says the Lur (natural horn) was played too by Saamis.
All types of singing is sounding with overtones of course, but the traditional joik style is playing with the timbre as much as with melody and rythm. It seems for me that each of those 3 aspects is simple, not consciously developped, but in an instinctive balance of singing manners. As a singer I think it's interesting...
Sverige's Radio has a series on Jojk and it contains examples of jojk with some kargyraa-like sounds and jojk that utilizes some overtones for embellishment/ornamentation.
Hi Stacey,
thanks for your post. Do you have a recording of joik with overtones?

I just came back from the (marvelous) Scandinavian Overtone Singing Festival where I participated in an
introductory workshops on joik given by Sanna Kurki-Suonio from Finland. She knows may different styles but didn't know any which uses overtone singing techniques.

German Wikipedia still describes joik as "monotonous-guttural throat singing of the Sami". If you have examples than they are right. I'd very much like to hear them.

Wolfgang






Stacey said:
Sverige's Radio has a series on Jojk and it contains examples of jojk with some kargyraa-like sounds and jojk that utilizes some overtones for embellishment/ornamentation.
Joik singers as others listen all kind of music so they take influences. All though I have heard some old harsh voice recordings and also some old gypsy singer who sung with ”khoomei”;o) So no doupt.
If I'm not mistaken, there is a duo of bards featured in the movie "Ronja, Robber's Daughter" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088015/ that sing a neat style. I always think of these guys when I hear the term Joik, but I'm probably far off, eh?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Sponsored by:

Latest Activity

Marcin is now a member of OMN ...

Welcome Marcin !
yesterday
Anna left a comment for 'Anna'
Tuesday
brigitte geuss posted a status
"Heilklänge mit Brigitte Geuss am 1.11.14 um 19:30 Uhr im YOGA-YIDYACenter Schwerte-Ergste, Bürenbrucher W AHORA-Soundhealing (Klangheilun"
Oct 25
Julia Renöckl posted blog posts
Oct 23
Winne posted a video

Fujara and Bass Improv- Sequence 2

Improvisation with Fujara and Bass recorded at Begijnhof O.L.V ter Hoyen Ghent ,one afternoon in August 2014 , Zeger Vandenbussche on bass ,Fujara was handma...
Oct 22
Mikael Kosmos is now a member of OMN ...

Welcome Mikael Kosmos!
Oct 22
Bernhard Mikuskovics posted events
Oct 21
Alistair Smith commented on Bodo Maass's video
Oct 21

© 2014   sponsored by Yoga Vidya, Germany

 |  Support | Privacy  |  Terms of Service