a common space & database for harmonic overtones
Leonardo FUKS : curriculum vitae
Curriculum vitae of Leonardo Fuks, Ph.D.
born in 1962, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Address: Av. Osvaldo Cruz 112, apto. 801, Flamengo, 22250-060, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Rio de Janeiro - BRASIL
Telephone: + 55 (21) 5511582 ; Fax: +55 (21) 5514723
* Mechanical Engineering - Federal University of Rio de Janeiro - UFRJ 1980-1987
* Music (Oboe Performance) - State School of Music and Fine Arts of Paraná 1986- 1987
* Music (Oboe Performance) -University of Rio de Janeiro-UNIRIO - 1987
* Production Engineering M.Sc.- Federal University of Rio de Janeiro - UFRJ - COPPE 1989-1993
* Music Acoustics Ph.D.- KTH- Royal Institute of Technology- Stockholm-SWEDEN- 1996-1999
* Portuguese, English and Spanish: fluent speaking, reading and writing
* Italian and Swedish: fluent speaking and reading
* German and French: basic conversation and reading
Jobs in Engineering :
* Digiponto, industry of electronic equipment (computer keyboards) , 1983-1984, working in mechanical manufacturing, development of prototypes, design of plastic injection moulds and quality control.
* Schlumberger International, from September 1987 to November 1988. Working in Scotland, Colombia and Ecuador as field engineer, supervising the assembly and maintenance of well testing equipment, doing geophysical measurements and reservoir analysis.
* Mechanical Systems for Industrial Design course; consultant in projects by graduating students. Also taught Elements of Musical Language in the Journalism and Communications course, during 1992.
* Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro- School of Music :
Substitute professor: 1991-1993
Assistant professor: from 1993 on, in the disciplines of Musical Acoustics and Physiology of Voice.
* Brazilian Conservatory of Music - teacher of Musical Acoustics for undergraduate students and Psychoacoustics for Music Therapy students, since August 1994, to the present day.
Main activities in Music:
* Paraná Symphony Orchestra: oboe and english horn player, from 1985 to 1987.
* Camerata Antiqua de Curitiba: 1986, playing mostly the baroque repertoire.
* Brazilian Music Orquestra (OMB) ; an orchestra for Brazilian popular music, principal oboe since its foundation in 1984.
* Rio de Janeiro Municipal Theatre Orchestra: 1990, as oboe and English horn player.
* Ensemble Ars Eletronica: member of the group dedicated to contemporary music as performing oboist, under the direction of the Brazilian composer Jocy de Oliveira, from 1993 up to the present time.
Leonardo Fuks (oboe), is Associate Professor of Music Acoustics and Voice Physiology at Universidade do Brasil/ UFRJ in Rio de Janeiro. His musical studies were carried out at Villa-Lobos Music School and Uni-Rio University. He has been a professional oboist in several Brazilian orchestras and chamber music groups. He holds a degree in mechanical engineering, a MSc degree in design engineering, and a Ph.D. in music acoustics from the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm. His main research topics include wind instrument physics and performance, and vocal techniques in ethnic and contemporary music. He has created a novel process for making clarinet and saxophone mouthpieces and a number of low-cost wind instruments for music education, particularly the Tuboe. Mr. Fuks is the founder and director of a bicycle orchestra, the Cyclophonica.
This content has been seen 162 times