Overtone Music Network

a common space & database for harmonic overtones

Visiting many sites and blogs, I have discovered many software.
Here a little link list - click pictures to enlarge:

Audacity - It is free, open source software for recording and editing sounds with the possibility to load VST effects. For win, mac and linux.

Baudline - It is a time-frequency browser designed for scientific visualization of the spectral domain. Signal analysis is performed by Fourier, correlation, and raster transforms that create colorful spectrograms with vibrant detail. Conduct test and measurement experiments with the built in function generator, or play back audio files with a multitude of effects and filters. The baudline signal analyzer combines fast digital signal processing, versatile high speed displays, and continuous capture tools for hunting down and studying elusive signal characteristics.
Excellent, for linux.

Madde - An additive, real-time, singing synthesiser by the great Svante Granqvist. We can create artificial vocal sounds and vowels manipulating overtones and formants. It's fantastic.
If you want look at my Madde video in my page.

Overtone Analyzer - thanks Maass and Saus, we all know it!

Praat - It is a program for speech analysis and synthesis written by Paul Boersma and David Weenink at the Department of Phonetics of the University of Amsterdam.
It is a research, publication, and productivity tool for phoneticians, for linux, mac, win.

Pure Data - Like Max/MSP, Pd is a “patcher” programming language, but Open Source. It is a real-time graphical programming environment for audio, video, and graphical processing. It is the third major branch of the family of patcher programming languages known as Max (Max/FTS, ISPW Max, Max/MSP, jMax, etc.) originally developed by Miller Puckette and company at IRCAM.
Pd was created to explore ideas of how to further refine the Max paradigm with the core ideas of allowing data to be treated in a more open-ended way and opening it up to applications outside of audio and MIDI, such as graphics and video.
For linux, mac and win.

Raven Lite - It is a free software program that lets users record, save, and visualize sounds as spectrograms and waveforms. Raven Lite is intended for students, educators, and hobbyists, and can be used for learning about sounds, as an aid in birdsong recognition, and in musical instruction.
For win and mac.

Snd - complete sound editor. It currently runs on nearly all Unix-based systems, including Mac OSX and Cygwin. It might even run on others if the GUI support is omitted.

Sonic Visualiser - The aim of Sonic Visualiser is to be the first program you reach for when want to study a musical recording rather than simply listen to it.
As well as a number of features designed to make exploring audio data as revealing and fun as possible, Sonic Visualiser also has powerful annotation capabilities to help you to describe what you find, and the ability to run automated annotation and analysis plugins in the Vamp analysis plugin format – as well as applying standard audio effects.
Sonic Visualiser will be of particular interest to musicologists, archivists, signal-processing researchers and anyone else looking for a friendly way to take a look at what lies inside the audio file.for linux, OS/X, and win.

Speech Tools - You can use Speech Analyzer to do the following tasks:
perform fundamental frequency, spectrographic and spectral analysis, and duration measurements,
add phonemic, orthographic, tone, and gloss transcriptions to phonetic transcriptions in an interlinear format,
perform ethnomusicological analysis of music recordings,
use slowed playback, repeat loops and overlays to assist with perception and mimicry of sounds for language learning.
It is very useful to formants analysis.
I think only for win.

Visual Analyser - It is a complete professional real time software, transform your PC in a complete set of instruments; no new hardware necessary (you can use the Sound Card of your PC) or you can use a specific external hardware.
Only for win.

ZynAddSubFX - It is a open source software synthesizer capable of making a countless number of instruments, from some common heared from expensive hardware to interesting sounds that you'll boost to an amazing universe of sounds.
An incredible synth software (not only), for win and linux.

Wave Surfer - It is an Open Source tool for sound visualization and manipulation. It has been designed to suit both novice and advanced users. WaveSurfer has a simple and logical user interface that provides functionality in an intuitive way and which can be adapted to different tasks. It can be used as a stand-alone tool for a wide range of tasks in speech research and education. Typical applications are speech/sound analysis and sound annotation/transcription. WaveSurfer can also serve as a platform for more advanced/specialized applications. This is accomplished either through extending the WaveSurfer application with new custom plug-ins or by embedding WaveSurfer visualization components in other applications.
For win, linux, and mac.

To finish, at the moment, this is a great list of free virtual synthesizers, VST, sequencers, emulations, ... but perhaps all for win, but I am sure that some works on mac and linux too:

http://lesitedeburnie.free.fr/lalistedeburnie1-en.html

Enjoy!!

This content has been seen 17516 times

Replies to This Discussion

MMMhhh... I had insert many pictures about softwares, but they have ruined the page layout because more large. I have removed them. Jens, help!
Ok, it is ok.
I have upload pictures from my hard disk, so I have changed their sizes.
Hi Marco,

This is a great overview. It even includes some programs I didn't know yet that look very interesting.

And thanks for including Overtone Analyzer on this page. It is listed there under "Free and Open Source Software". While Overtone Analyzer has been free so far, I have been doing this full-time for the last few years and I need to charge some money for this software to continue working on it, as I have no other source of income, and I have funded the creation of this software with my own savings.

Most open source projects are written by people that have a full-time job and like to write free software in their spare time. When I started Overtone Analyzer, it soon became apparent that I would never be able to finish it when working on it only part-time, so I decided to take a risk and try working on it full-time and turn it into a professional quality software product.
You need to judge for yourself if this software is worth paying for, or if the open source alternatives are just as good.

The first 1.0 version of Overtone Analyzer will be released very soon, and from then on it won't be free anymore.
I just wanted to clarify this.

Best wishes,
Bodo
Hi Bodo,
yes, it's ok.
In my opinion every programmer spent its time and it's right that every programmer can gain money. Why not!
But I don't understand if you are angry with me ...
I have inserted your software in this list because anyone can download it without pay, so it seems.
Hi Marco,

I'm not angry at all, I just wanted to make sure that people understand that Overtone Analyzer is not free software to avoid disappointment or confusion.
Ok Bodo,
all is clear, now!
I hope you can improve your software more and more!
Hello Bodo,
I'm glad that OA is on the way to 1.0
I think your software is very good and I use it with much pleasure.
Thank you!
Best regards,
Lorenzo
Hi Marco,

Nice topic. I know and use many of the softwares you mentioned.
There are two other really good programs that are worth mention:

http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~tuner/tuner_e.html is an advanced tuner which does frquency analysis in real time (Mac and PC only)

http://www.reaper.fm/ is a program like cubase, but very cheap (PC only, Mac on the way)

Ciao,
Lorenzo
Thank you for collecting all these useful softwares.
I shall ask you about the use of sygyt.com next time .
Cheers,
Tran Quang Hai
Okay!

RSS

Sponsored by:

Latest Activity

Sukadev Bretz posted a video

Sita Ram, by Ramadasa, Radha and others

A wonderful version of Sita Ram, performed by Ramadasa (harmonium and vocal) and Radha (vocal) and accompanied by Ramani (vocal), Franziska (drum), Sonya (vo...
Mar 7
Ilaria Orefice updated their profile
Feb 26
Jens Ickert posted events
Feb 26
Timber Freier Träumer (Hanfreich posted an event
Thumbnail

Obertongesang (Grundkurs) mit Timber - in Stuttgart at Stuttgart, Forum 3

April 27, 2024 from 11am to 6pm
Feb 16
Julia Renöckl posted a blog post
Feb 12
Julia Renöckl is now in contact with Timber Freier Träumer (Hanfreich
Feb 12
Julia Renöckl posted a status
"Obertonkurs in der www.stimmwerkstatt.at am 16. und 17. März 2024"
Feb 12
Timber Freier Träumer (Hanfreich is now in contact with Filip Rydlo
Feb 10
Jens Mügge commented on Bruno Amstad's photo
Feb 7
Sukadev Bretz posted a video

He Prabho by Mantra Circle

He prabho ananda-data jnana hama ko dijieShighra sare durguno ko dura hama se kijieLijie hama ko sharana me hama sad-achari baneBrahmachari, dharma-rakshaka,...
Jan 20
Jens Mügge commented on Willi Grimm's video
Jan 13
Willi Grimm posted a video

WSP Oberbalm Juli 2021 - Kailash Kokopelli

Klang im Wasserspeicher OberbalmEin Zeitungsbericht im Juli 2020 gab den Anstoss, dass wieder einmal ein akustisch ganz besonderer Raum klanglich ausgelotet ...
Jan 9

© 2007 - 2024   Legal Notice - Privacy Policy - Sponsored by Yoga Vidya, Germany -   Powered by

|  Support | Privacy  |  Terms of Service